Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Depth of Field and Motion

Depth Of Field

For this photo I was playing around with DOF trying to have Handsome(chihuahua) as the subject in focus, while having Ivy(yorkie) out of focus in a blur with her movement. I really enjoy bringing out the red in the photos giving them a warmer feeling to them especially with the fall leaves on the ground.


This was my absolute favorite out of the pictures I had captured. It has a lot of emotion to it, and being able to capture Handsome in his mid-stalking was really cool. I tried to get everything in front of the fence to be in focus while the trees past the fence are out of focus bringing your attention to the dogs. The editing with this photo came out exactly like I wanted it to, it's very warm, the colors are all very vibrant and you can really see all the spots the sun is hitting.


I was really happy with the end product of this photo. His colors stand out really well from the dull colors in the back, I did up the saturation for greens and yellows to make them pop some more and that was about it for the editing I did on this photo.


With this photo I had the shutter speed set pretty fast to capture Ivy moving around. For the editing I played a lot with the saturation and was really happy with how the bottom portion of the photo came out, but the top portion was just too bright and just doesn't fit it with the rest of the photo.





Motion
This was a fun photo I took at about midnight during the heavy rain, I had to play a lot with the settings to figure out what would work and what wouldn't. It came out looking like it was taken with a film camera which I think was very cool. I did turn the contrast up for this photo and did some burning on the trashcan because in the original it was just too bright for the picture.


So I did not do a ton of edits to this photo and upped the saturation on it. I am not sure why the quality is so low on the blog (I swear it looks better on my laptop). I think the photo is okay, but I didn't quite capture the movement as clearly as I would have liked.


This was a great photo of Ivy mid bark, she was captured perfectly still. I think this was one of the best motion pictures I had captured of the dogs moving around. The editing for this I just played around with the levels and curves and darkened the photo, and then brought out the red in her beard.


This was another good motion picture; their feet did come out a little blurry but overall, I was happy with the final outcome with the edits I had made. I brightened up the grass and turned up the saturation to make the red pop out in her fur. Again, I kept the editing really simple with this photo.








 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your photo that captures the rain at midnight which is something we don't normally get to see like that. The way the light reflects off of each raindrop makes for an overall really cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the rain and the dog, two of my personal favorite things. The way the light is reflecting and highlighting individual drops makes it look like a piece of art. Really cool job

    ReplyDelete

Final

  Artist Statement My theme for this series is the growth of coming out of seasonal depression. Starting in winter, when it’s worse and havi...