Sunday, February 5, 2023

Black and White Study

 

     For my first assignment I chose this photo of the gutter drain as the water drips out. I was really happy with how the original picture came out but through the 4 different edits I did, I was able to create an ominous feeling through the photos with. With my last edit I did try and go for a lighter feeling.



Original Photo

Black and White

I really enjoy the curves tool and used it on each edit. I burned the ground to give it a darker contrast, though I did feel like the brick was a little too late after I finished editing.

Black and White 2

For this edit I did try and go for a lighter feel to it still using the curves.

Cool Tones

I feel like this one didn't have the right mood for what I was trying to go for, but I do really enjoy the contrast from all the highlights and shadows on the ground.

Cool Tones 2

I had a ton of fun with this edit. I wanted it to make someone feel like there is something about to crawl out of the drain. Having the extremely dark ground in contrast to the very light brick wall really draws attention to the drain which is exactly what I was going for.

Sepia

This last edit was my favorite. I really wanted to go for an older looking photo which I think I was able to accomplish with this edit.




    


3 comments:

  1. It was an interesting choice to focus on something so small for this composition. The variety of textures and values within the composition lend themselves well to b&w. You've also done well making each edit look uniquely different from the others. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your choice of subject matter and I love the Cool Tones 2 and the sepia photos. They are so different from each other but both beautiful compositions. I believe you achieved your idea of making the original photo look vintage with the sepia photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shot! It's something that is overlooked everyday but when someone takes the time to acknowledge it, it turns into a really nice shot. The ordinary is the extraordinary! Your edits also highlight different elements in the water and the brick which I really like.

    ReplyDelete

Final

  Artist Statement My theme for this series is the growth of coming out of seasonal depression. Starting in winter, when it’s worse and havi...